Friday, October 11, 2013

Flying In and Flying Out


Okay, where am I now? I dropped off my sister, brother in-law and their two children back to the Perth airport yesterday for their return flight to Adelaide. I feel like I have had a holiday too. We packed a lot into one week making sure both adults and kids were interested in the activities planned. The weather was perfect for some swimming at the beach too. The house seems empty now they are gone and this morning I swept up the last of the biscuit crumbs and sand.

I had a conversation with my sister and her husband, about trying to make up my mind about the Art Therapy Diploma next year. It was suggested I do the good old pro's and con's list and take it from there. Also looking at some of my fears and what is the worst thing that could happen. That was a very interesting process for me, where I found myself talking through all the reasons I had against going. Anyway the long and short of it is, it is back on the burner.

Establishing on-line presence, as an important part of my art career, is still in process. I have been putting together a new website with 'Webs' under the domain name: www.janetpfeifferartist.com and also setting up a new Facebook page for my artwork only : www.facebook.com/janetpfeifferartist 
Thank you for all the very encouraging comments, especially as these often play a large part in having the courage and confidence to keep on moving forward in a job that requires a great deal of self-motivation and risk-taking.
I am cancelling the web page I had with 'Shopify' because I simply don't know how to manage an on-line store yet. Now that I own a good camera, my artwork shots will be much better quality and I will also start using 'Etsy' again. This has been, and still is a long and 'testing of my patience' process that I have to stay on top of, especially if I want to promote my artwork and workshops to the wider community and eventually internationally. One day, when I have a cash flow, I will get someone else to do it as it gobbles up hours and hours of my time.

I'm currently reading a book that is very timely for me called 'The Artist's Guide - How to make a living doing what you love' by Jackie Battenfield, who is a practicing artist herself. I have looked at many of the issues in this book over and over in a number of other books. They have got me to where I am now, but I am not earning a living yet. This book is dealing specifically with an art career and is giving me the advice and ideas that I need right now. Praise God for writer's who put all this supportive and helpful information in books that we can carry with us and refer to at anytime along the way to a planned successful career - hopefully. I must admit I am still a little skeptical about earning a suitable living from art but I'll do my best.

My husband is flying out to Israel this Tuesday to do a tour of Jerusalem with a group of friends from his parish. It is an expensive trip so I decided not to go with him. I have never really had any desire to go to the holy land. I am in awe of the ancient history and the fact that it is the place Jesus Christ lived and died but to actually 'be' there is not so important to me. I have so many other interesting things to focus on that are not so costly. I will miss him though:( 

I have led a few InterPlay groups and I am off to Melbourne for InterPlay Leaders Gathering and AGM next weekend. Still looking for enough people to run a regular monthly IP group in Perth. I'm also looking for a good venue. Our church hall is no longer available as it has just been demolished, ready for the new building. This is a 14 million dollar project that has been in the planning for years. It will involve an undercover car park, our own church space and a floor of offices that are rented out to help pay off the loan. All very exciting but also quite scary as it is such huge project.  

No comments:

Post a Comment