Thursday, August 8, 2013

Long story-Stuck in the mud!

This evening we got stuck in the mud on top of a hill in the middle of no where.
Maybe that's exaggerating a bit, I could see two houses. We were so stuck, that Greg had to go walking to see if he could get assistance while I stayed with the car.



Finally Greg returns in a four wheel drive. The driver isn't keen to drive into the situation without checking it out on foot first. He almost slips over twice. All three of us had 5inches of thick dark brown sticky mud on the base of our shoes! 
Our rescuer Chris is having to reverse in.. he ties the tow rope on and to pull our car out. All was going well...we are half way out, when our rescuer's vehicle gets bogged! I didn't think those vehicles were supposed to do that! The sun is going down faster than usual. It is about 5 pm and we had already been there well over an hour...Oh and then it started to pour with rain. Just what we needed.
I begin to lament silently..."Oh why did I let Greg go down this road? I knew it wasn't good but I just didn't protest loud enough and convincingly enough the  No! Word. Instead I got out the car and opened the gate and waved him through! Big mistake.
 The stupid thing was, once we closed the gate behind us, we only travelled 300 meters down the road before we came to a dead end. It was the turning around of the car that got us into trouble.
The poor rescuer named Chris, in his very clean four wheel drive was dressed so neatly on arrival. An hour later, not only is he covered in shite from head to toe, but HIS vehicle is now bogged too!
We found out later he was on the first day of a retreat weekend and this was his first day out in the 4w/d which he had just bought off his Dad. He had never been off road.
I pondered...how can we repay him? Damn, it would all be worth it if we were both out of here but he is stuck and even though we are unstuck, we still have to get towed through the mud that he is currently trying to get out of! 
 I thought these path finder four wheel drives could do anything! I never expected that two men would have to be digging out the mud from behind their wheels. God bless them though, I could still hear them having a laugh!
I'm such a girl in these situations. I don't know what to do or how to be of help. So I stand around trying to take photos when they are not looking or say stupid things like, "so sorry, we will clean your car for you!" 
One job I had was standing out in the rain marking the boundary where the firm ground turns to soft. It was freezing out there on top of that hill. Greg was now pulling out the four w/drive to no avail. We then have to call out another 4 w/d. I think we needed a bulldozer! We contacted the hosts of our cottage. They too have a nice shiny 4 w/d which we found out later had never been off the road and they were in the process of trying to sell it - thats why it was so clean! 
My next job was to wait in the dark on the corner of a fork in the dirt road, the other side of the gate we should never have gone through in the first place. I directed our next helpers vehicle to the emergency location 300 meters away. I said I'd walk. Didn't want my 5 inches of mud coming off my shoes into his recently vacuumed vehicle.
Next, one 4w/d towed out the other 4 w/d after the rope had snapped with the first try, all good eventually  but then Greg's car was stuck again, the driver of the second 4w/d ( our host ) had managed to stay out of the mud and wasn't about to go near the boggy area.
 Instead he gave me a lift home. We left those two exhausted mud- covered men out in the cold and dark believing they could get Greg's car out. I suggested Greg leave the car till tomorrow and the ground might dry out but they said if it rains it will sink further.. I'm now waiting back in the cottage not knowing when he'll get home. I know he will be covered in wet dirt and he'll have to strip off outside the door. I don't know how we will get the inside of the car clean, let alone the outside! Anyway it has been nearly 4 hrs since we got stuck and I don't know what the end result will be. It is hard to get too comfortable here knowing Greg is 'down the mine' so to speak. He finally came home with the car and a few more stories to tell. The next big job was to get all that mud off the car and out of the car! I wonder how poor Chris is coping?
One thing I have learned. You get 4 w/drives with 'road' tyres and some of them may have never been off the road before, so they are really just like cars! The other thing I learned is I don't like mud!
















2 comments:

  1. Bloody hell! I'm so, so, so very sorry but once again you've had me in fits of laughter. It must've been a bit rubbish for the men folk taking two steps forward then another five or ten back. What a tale and if the Padre doesn't do a sermon it upon your return then I want you to give a "testimonial" and I love your line about "I knew it wasn't good but I just didn't protest loud enough and convincingly enough with the 'No!' word. Instead I got out the car and opened the gate and waved him through! Big mistake." I can see it drawing parallels with one's faith walk and how a person can remain silent in the face of Worldly influence. I don't know... And for the record, I like the pictorial evidence! It's a nice touch. Now if you'll excuse me while I pick myself up from my fallen chair... Too much laughing me thinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janet, you never fail to get involved in some event both interesting and hilarious. Can I take you back to the 60's and 70's when you were a bit younger and used to go with your Mum, me and brothers in our old Landrover which had off road tyres. It wasn't quite a 'Status Symbol' but more a hard working caravan puller. We also used to attend Landrover Rallies where we used to tackle mud and to see how far up rivers we could drive. We never ever got stuck but there you go . . . .every body and his dog has a 4wd these days just to take their kids to school!
    Any way Jan and Greg, it was an adventure you will look back on , laugh and relate to others for years to come.
    I will send you some of those Landrover rally adventures next week mate . . .enjoy the rest of your holiday.
    Love Dadx

    ReplyDelete