Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Considering how to pay the rent.


There is an Indian restaurant just opened downstairs to my studio. The smell is divine! I tried out one of their dishes and it was good. They said they had only been there 4 weeks and I just happened to notice the walls were very bare so I offered some of my artwork. As you do! 
I will price them and if they sell the owner gets 20%. I have done this before in a Chinese restaurant when I first started painting and I didn’t sell anything but all my artwork smelled like Chinese noodles! I guess I’ll just have to be prepared for them to small like Indian...which I much prefer! Better still, I hope they sell. I haven’t got the space for them in my studio and they can easily warp if they are left leaning against walls. 
I am thinking of not teaching if at all possible. That way I can really stay focused on my artworks. I give so much of my heart and soul to teaching that I find I have less for my own creations. 
But, I still have to pay my rent, buy art materials and canvases. So, once I have my public liability insurance organised I am planning to hire a local church hall in Midland and maybe my own church hall in Perth and facilitate Touch Drawing classes which I have found to be very relaxing, meditative and deeply spiritual. See the website for more information www.touchdrawing.com. By the end of the year I hope to receive my accreditation with InterPlay Australia to run regular classes. InterPlay has completely changed my life over the past 6 years. It has given me confidence to be who God created me to be. This isn’t a big deal for those of us who have developed naturally through life’s challenging circumstances, but I lost the plot completely some 10 years ago and became so inadequate at managing my life that I wanted to end it. Thank God I chose life, even though I couldn’t see the value of it at the time. I’ll be teaching InterPlay because it is meaningful fun, it is physical and community building. For more info go to www.interplayaus.com.au
A few words from ‘Creativity for Life’ Practical Advice on the Artist’s Personality and Career by Eric Maisel, PhD. He is America’s foremost Creativity Coach who I studied with on-line.  
He says “Much of creating or performing is unglamorous, arduous and sometimes maddeningly repetitious work.”
I need to remember this when the going gets tough.

No comments:

Post a Comment