Monday, December 19, 2011

To name or not to name.

To name or not to name other persons on your blog?
This was going to be a comment only but it has turned into a thoughtful statement. I am very new at this blogging and hope to learn a thing or two along the way.

My friend asked... Out of curiousity, are you okay with using names? Given your background and what not...I'm rather curious!

Good question and the first time that I have really given it any serious thought.

To begin with myself, I came to the conclusion that I have nothing to hide or protect myself from. If I did, and my name got out there and created a problem for me, I would deal with that situation as it arises.
 I only use names if I am edifying the person or stating a fact that is already being aired to the public by that person. Otherwise I would disguise it.

As far as security goes, I suspect that if someone was determined to track a person down, they would find a way (unless it was Osama Bin Laden!) regardless of the names I put on the internet.
One thing I will try hard not to do is slander anyones name publicly ( not to say I won't do it privately) and if I were to do this inadvertently I would hope to be notified immediately so that I could make amends. If I was unsure about naming someone in my blog, then I wouldn't use their name. I figure if you wouldn't say it to someones face, then why say it on your blog?

I'm interested in your comments on 'blogging etiquette' and I'm going to do some research of my own. Thank you my friend for being curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment