Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Fun With Haiku Poetry

I have been playing with the haiku form of poetry. Remember the haiku form is three lines with a set number of syllables on each line: 5 - 7 - 5. This is a beautifully simple way to add a mytho-poetic element to my experiences without getting to analytic.

I wrote this one after a very fidgety meditation where sitting still, eyes closed, in silence is the practice. Ma-ra-na-tha is the prayer word that I repeatedly breathe. It is an Aramaic word meaning 'Come Lord Jesus' as is used in Christian meditation.

Sitting on my stool
Coming home...'ma-ra-na-tha'
Body wants to stretch

I squirm the stillness
Clearly I want more of that!
Do you think God minds?

Very quietly...
And slowly...my arms are raised
I don't mind at all.
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment