Saturday, August 3, 2013

What day is it?

Visited Greenbush today. A little mining village. Used to mine tin but now it is a multi-million dollar project and all sorts of valuable minerals come out of the mine, including pharmaceutical Lithium which is one of the medications my little brain needs to keep functioning. 
After a pleasant 3k bush walk all around the outside of this historic town and a beautiful lake , I was wondering where all the mining went on? It seemed to be such a sleepy old town until we climbed up a pathway that zig-zagged to the top of a lookout and there it was....this enormous great pit carved hundreds of metres deep and wide into the earth. It seemed to appear suddenly out of nowhere!

 I felt a bit dizzy and disoriented as I looked through the fence wire. The little bit of land that we build our houses and gardens on is only about 3 or 4 metres deep and looks so insignificant to the continuous layers of solid rock than seem to go on forever beneath our feet!
This is me sitting inside one of those huge caterpillar tyres. In 2009 one of these tyres costs $12,600 each!
Pictures of  the Greenbush natural spring lake and bush flowers we discovered on our walk.


On our way 'home' we picked up some more 'little critters' as Greg calls them, to add to my already expanding collection which I am going to explain later.

Back in our cottage as I write this. The fire is now crackling and I can feel the warmth of it on my back. Greg has made me a cup of tea. The sun is setting and the frogs are croaking, the long horn cattle are lowing and mooing and the kookaburra's are laughing. I sound like Old Macdonald! 
Just to finish off, here is the longhorn cow-bull-steer, whatever it is....it has that don't mess with me look! Thankfully the phone camera brings them closer than they really are :-)

1 comment:

  1. Ooh spent one New Year's Eve out at Greenbushes. Such a lovely place! The French look suits you by the way. Passée un bon vacance! ooxxoo

    ReplyDelete