Sunday, May 6, 2012

All Forward Growth Begins with Letting Go

One of my favourite artists- Anthony Lister

I often wake up with anxiety, guilt or just feel tired and everything is an effort. It is like there is an energy drain and no fuel for my creative work. What is going on?


I remember reading a book by Gail McMeekin named 12 Secrets of Highly Creative Women, and she suggests writing a list of 10 things which she calls Serenity Stealers, being people, tasks, situations or environments that drain your creative potential. 


I came up with a list of 17!! I decided to start with the easiest one #15 - My Clothing. Too often I go to my cupboard and run through all my clothes and can't find anything that I want to wear. I waste time trying things on that don't fit or don't go together or look wrong, or they are not warm enough or cool enough. I wonder why I wasted good money on some of them!  When I find something it will have paint splashed on it or my partner carefully asks "have you got anything else you could wear?"
I have clothes in a suitcases, in drawers, in cupboards, everywhere...but nothing to wear! 
 So my first step was to pile the whole lot onto my bed. (I'm sure I did this just a few months ago) Then I put a match to it all...no not really!. I divide it all into piles. For the opportunity shop, next season, the clothes I can paint in etc

Now, when I get dressed I will save time time and maybe money and I'll be calmer and more organised. Simple as that - one Serenity Stealer down, 16 more to go! Yikes!


To gain that which is worth having it may be necessary to loose everything else.
Bernadette Devlin (Writer)

No comments:

Post a Comment